Pollution is defined as anything that destroys or causes damages to the environment. It could be Chemical, radiation, visual or peace disturbances. Disturbance in the peace takes part in noise pollution.
Noise pollution is any unwanted or disturbing sound that disrupts your daily activities, like sleeping, and affects your quality of life.
Did you know that exposure to noise for more than 8 hours can be hazardous? It has many destructive effects on both your and body. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the allowable upper limit of sound should not exceed 45dB. This upper limit is often disregarded, especially in the city environment.
There are contributing factors to noise pollution that arise out of any means of transportation, industrial setup, and loud sounds or music.
Machines in big industries produce a lot of noise. Aside from the exhaust, generators, mills that we are aware of, there are a lot more machines that contribute to noise pollution. Industrial or manufacturing facilities that are close to residential areas cause a nuisance to the residents.
Party events use large speakers to play music. They may be fun but they surely cause disturbances and noise pollution in the neighborhood. Disco and clubs also contribute to noise pollution.
Dominantly, transport vehicles contribute their share to noise pollution. Automobiles in urban areas are increasing due to the automobile revolution. The honks or the mere sounds of the vehicles are a discomfort in the ears.
Your domestic gadgets like washing machines, pressure cooker, air conditioners, and vacuum cleaners can cause disturbance to the peace of mind. Your electrical devices like TV and radio are also sources of noise pollution.
Construction works like bulldozing, welding, or repairing activities produce a significant amount of noise. People involved in these activities need to wear certain earplugs to prevent deafening exposure. Residents in the neighborhood normally complain of the disturbing noises they produce.
How do you reduce and control noise pollution?
Control of noise pollution is possible. In turn, it is also possible to control its effects on us. Here are some that you can do on your own to contribute to this noise pollution control.
- You can begin at your own home. Control of producing loud noises from your household. Learn to respect the privacy and peace of your neighbors.
- For those working in construction sites, wear earplugs, ear-muffs, noise helmets to prevent deafening exposure.
- Better maintenance and proper lubrication of machines
- If you reside in an area near the main road, or since you can’t control the noise produced by your neighbors, have soundproof windows.
- Minimum use of loudspeakers and amplifiers especially in the residential areas
- Use of silencers to control noises coming from automobiles, exhausts and more.
- Planting more trees around industrial areas, roads, schools, etc to help reduce noise.